Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Shakespeare Wallah

First thing in my mind, I thought that the film we will watch are based on the real story based on Shakespeare’s story. But to my surprised, it is actually a movie starring Shashi Kapoor, who an Indian actor who was famous in Bollywood in those years. The movie was established in the year of 1965. There is no technology color on the film and fortunately we have to watch the film in white and black. I am not quit impressed when it was played for the first hours of the movie but eventually as the movie goes on it captured my intention. The film is all about a differences of role between actor and actress in the theater and motion picture. There are huge gap and will lead to the big problem. For instance, in this movie Manjula is the famous actress in the motion picture in India and she is really arrogance. She also looks down on others especially those who came from theater background. Manjula hating Lucy so much because Lucy is an actress in theater and Manjula jealous when she discover that Sanju (famous actor cum Manjula’s consort) had a feeling towards that British lady (Lucy). These modern days, people tend to watch movies rather than theater. That is why; theater actor and actress lost their spark. In this movie, Lucy followed her parents traveling all over India in order to perform Shakespeare’s masterpieces. Sanju, the hero in this movie, fallen in love with Lucy but there are obstacles in their relationship because they are different. Same as Manjula, Sanju is an actor in motion picture, he cannot adapt theater environment as he try hard to fit in there. That was one of the differences obviously. At the end, Lucy going back to London and left everything behind her in India.

1 comment:

o N e ' N e Y said...

I actually did not really understand the play 'Shakespeare's Wallah' because I think it is quite difficult to understand the language that they used. The actors in the play used mix language, sometimes they used English but at the other time the used Hindustan. The play is also not so interesting because it is black and white. Oh Gog...I was so sleepy while watching that play. I fall asleep for several times and I lost the track of the plot. The ending is also quite confusing. It did not state the ending clearly. I think, reading the play is better than watching it because from reading, I will not miss the storyline and I can repeat as much as I want.